Lytham Trophy 2018
Conditions of Entry
- The Lytham Trophy is open to all Male Amateur Golfers of any Nationality whose handicap does not exceed SCRATCH (0.4) under the CONGU handicapping scheme or under the handicapping scheme adopted in the country from which the competitor has entered.
- Competitors holding both a CONGU and an overseas authority handicap must enter the Championship using their CONGU handicap. Failing to enter in compliance with this Condition will result in entry being denied.
- The exact handicap certified at the date of entry will be used for all entry purposes.
- Consideration will also be given to a player’s World Amateur Golf Ranking at the time the draw is made.
- Entries from competitors within GB&I with a CDH Lifetime ID are encouraged to enter via the on-line process available at www.royallytham.org. Entry and use of a player’s CDH in this manner negates the need to have handicaps certified. On-line entries must be received by the Club by 12.00 Noon on Thursday 26th March 2018.
- All other entries must be made on the official entry form and must be received by the Club by 12.00 Noon on Thursday 26th March 2018.
- Entries via the entry form will not be accepted unless the form is fully completed and signed by the entrant and the Home Club Secretary, Handicapping Authority or Overseas Golfing Union, Federation or Association.
- All entries shall be subject to the approval of the Tournament Committee which reserves the right to accept or refuse any entry without giving reasons for its decision, which shall be final. The Tournament Committee reserves the right to disqualify any competitor making a false or incorrect statement on their entry form.
- The entry fee of £90 Sterling should accompany all entry forms. Entries may be accepted without the entry fee but only by prior arrangement with the Tournament Committee. For postal entries cheques will be cashed and credit/debit card payments taken during the week following the draw. If the Club fails to receive payment from ‘bounced’ cheques or failed credit/debit card payments, this is the responsibility of the entrant and will lead to their exclusion from the tournament.
- A draw will be made by Friday 6th April 2018 to select 144 entrants to compete in the Tournament and to select a list of reserves. Following the draw all applicants will be notified in writing of whether or not they have been successful in the draw, and if unsuccessful if they have been selected for the list of reserves.
- No entry fee will be refunded unless intimation of scratching is received before the closing date for entries, except for any entrant who is balloted-out, or any reserve who is not called upon to play.
- Any competitor who withdraws after the Starting Sheet has been published must, without delay, furnish the Tournament Committee with an explanation in writing. Any competitor whose withdrawal is not notified within 48 hours of the start of the tournament or who is absent from the tournament without notice of withdrawal may have future entries rejected.
- The Tournament shall be played in accordance with the Rules of Golf as approved by R&A Rules Limited, and with Local Rules as approved by the Tournament Committee.
- Competitors must conform in all respects to the Rules of Amateur Status as approved by R&A Rules Limited.
- A player may obtain distance information by using a device that measures distance only. If, during a stipulated round, a player uses a distance-measuring device that is designed to gauge or measurer other conditions which might affect his play (e.g. gradient, windspeed, temperature etc.), the player is in breach of Rule 14-3, for which the penalty is disqualification, regardless of whether any such additional function is actually used.
- The ball the player plays must be named on the current list of “The Conforming Golf Balls” issued periodically by the R&A. A list of all conforming golf balls is available on the R&A website ~ www.randa.org
PENALTY FOR BREACH OF CONDITION - Disqualification.
- Driving clubs must not have a characteristic time greater than 257 microseconds when measured on pendulum testing apparatus approved by R&A Rules Limited - see also Appendix II, 5a of the Rules of Golf. A list of all conforming driver heads is available on the R&A website ~ www.randa.org
PENALTY FOR BREACH OF CONDITION - Disqualification.
- The specimen Condition in the Rules of Golf (page 142) is in effect: Players must not ride on any form of transportation during a stipulated round unless authorised by the Committee.
PENALTY FOR BREACH OF CONDITION: See Rules of Golf, Page 142.
- A competitor shall not knowingly make use of drugs to enhance performance. Any competitor infringing this condition shall be disqualified.
- The Tournament Committee reserves the right to fix and/or alter the Tournament Conditions and/or Starting Times.
- Any competitor who during the course of the event, including the practice day, misbehaves by, for example, swearing, throwing clubs, or vandalising the golf course or clubhouse, fails to comply with the regulations for the practice round or for the practice range or acts in any manner which might bring the game into disrepute may be barred from continuing in this event and from entering or taking part in future Lytham Trophies for such a period as the Tournament Committee may decide, and will be reported to their home club, county or country union, association or federation.
- The Tournament Committee, whose decision is final, shall settle all disputes.
Conditions of Play
- The Tournament shall be played by Stroke Play over 72 holes.
- The 144 competitors will complete 18 holes on Friday 4th May 2018 and 18 holes on Saturday 5th May 2018.
- The leading 40 competitors, and all those tying for 40th place, will then play 36 holes on Sunday 6th May 2018.
- It is expected that play on Saturday will be completed by 8:30pm and the cut and starting times for Sunday will be completed as soon as possible thereafter. The telephone number for evening enquiries is 01253 724206 and the Sunday Starting Sheet will be published on the Royal Lytham website on the Saturday evening.
- The player with the least number of strokes will be the winner. In the event of a tie after 72 holes, the competitors who tie will determine the winner by playing holes 1, 2 and 18 in a stroke play format. If a tie still exists then a sudden death play-off will take place over these same holes. The play-off will commence immediately after the last players have completed the final round.
- All ties, other than for first place, will be decided in accordance with County Competition Regulation 6 of the Lancashire Union of Golf Clubs.
- If it becomes impossible to complete the Tournament in accordance with the above conditions, because of adverse weather conditions or other circumstances, the Tournament Committee shall be empowered to vary such conditions to the extent necessary to achieve a result in the time available.
- Pace of Play A full condition will be posted at the Tournament and will be available upon request.
- “Practice during the Tournament” – Rules of Golf apply. Rule 7-1b is in effect – see pages 137/8 of the Rules of Golf 1st January 2016.
- Suspension of Play Due to a Dangerous situation. The specimen Condition in the Rules of Golf is in effect – see page 137.
The signals shall be:
Discontinue Play Immediately; one prolonged note of the siren,
Discontinue Play; three consecutive notes of the siren, repeated,
Resume Play; two short notes of the siren, repeated.
Prizes and vouchers
The Lytham Trophy will remain in the possession of Royal Lytham & St Annes Golf Club.
The Winner will receive a silver replica of the Lytham Trophy and a voucher
The runner-up and third place competitors will each receive a voucher.
All prize winners are expected to attend the prize presentation, which will take place shortly after play on Sunday is completed.
- No practice facilities will be available before the official practice day.
- A courtesy practice round, for competitors only (when only one ball must be played), is offered at Royal Lytham on Thursday 3rd May 2018. Starting times must be booked through the Professional’s Shop. Times cannot be reserved before 8:00am on Friday 20th April 2018. Professional’s Shop Telephone Number +44 (0)1253 720094.
- There is a practice range and chipping/bunker green at Royal Lytham where competitors may use the golf balls provided and collected by the Club. For safety reasons balls must only be struck from the designated areas and competitors must not use their own balls or collect balls that have been struck. The driving range tee is between the white posts and shots must only be played away from the Clubhouse. A fence surrounds the chipping/bunker green and shots must only be played from within this area.
- Any request for a caddy should be directed to the Professional’s Shop by telephone at least one week in advance. There is no restriction on a player’s choice of caddie.
- Competitors are requested to register immediately on arrival. The registration desk is situated in the Entrance Hall at Royal Lytham and will be open from 2.00pm until 6.00pm on Wednesday 2nd May 2018, and from 9.00am until 6.00pm on Thursday 3rd May 2018. All competitors should register before play and if unable to do so please inform the Club as soon as possible by telephoning +44 (0) 1253 724206.
- Dress in the Clubhouse is smart casual and hot food and snacks will be available from 9:30am each day.
- Breakfast is not available in the clubhouse, but chocolate bars, sweets and drinks may be purchased from the Professional’s Shop, which opens at 7:00 a.m. each day.
- Mobile telephones are not allowed in the Clubhouse or on the Course at any time.